Preparation Time: - 5 min
Cooking Time: - 10 min (It all depends upon the way you steam the mixture. You can cook in the pressure cooker, microwave oven or in normal oven. Time will be different in each of them)
Servings: - 4 persons
- 200 gm paneer – cut into small cubes
- 100 gm thick curd – whisked
- 3 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 ½ tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder ( I used Kahmiri red chili powder but you can use as per your taste)
- 2 slitted Green Chillies
- Salt to taste
- Few chopped Coriander leaves
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil
- Mix mustard seeds and poppy seeds in a mixer grinder. Add little bit of water and make a smooth paste out of it. Scrape them out of the mixer and keep aside.
- Whisk the curd and set aside.
- Take a small kadai / pan or a pressure cooker and heat the mustard oil on medium flame.
- When oil started smoking put the burner to low and pour the paste of mustard seeds and poppy seeds.
- Add in the whisked curd, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, slitted green chillies and salt.
- Stir continuously for 1~2 minutes or until the oil start to come out from the mixture.
add the cubed paneer pieces to them. Also add in the chopped coriander leaves if
- Mix everything thoroughly so that a layer of spices are coated on the paneer.
- Now pour the whole mixture in a small bowl, close it with lid. Put this in your steamer and steam for 12 to 15 minutes or put 1 cup of water in your pressure cooker and cook until it blows 1 whistle. I prefer pressure cooker.
- Switch off the flame right away and let the steam come out of the cooker naturally.Now put off the lid and serve hot as side dish with hot steamed rice.
2. Steamer: -This may also be cooked in a steam basket/steamer; place the container inside of a foil so that no water can go in. Steam for about 12~15 minutes, or until the paneer is cooked properly. You will have to adjust the cooking time.
3. Bake: - You can use the same steel bowl if it is oven safe. Close the oven door and bake at about 350 degree Celsius for about 10 minutes. Stop the oven, open the bowl, stir and again bake for another 5 minutes.
4. Inside rice: - This is an old Bengali way to cook two things at a time. Place tightly closed container inside the rice when cooking boiled rice. Calculate a time so that the container is inside the rice for about 5 minutes before the burner is turned off. The timing is very important here and my mom could time it perfectly but not me.